2011: Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge
November 29, 2010 § 3 Comments
I didn’t mean to sign up for as many challenges as I have, but I did. I came across the Vintage Mystery Reading Challenge completely by accident. The challenge is being hosted over at My Reader’s Block from January 1 until December 31, 2011.
There is a very simple reason I could not say no to this one. Humphrey Bogart. It’s all his fault. Sam Spade anyone? Perhaps Rick Blaine, Philip Marlowe, or Frank McCloud? I love Humphrey Bogart. I buy his movies in box sets, and it’s Bogie’s portrayl of characters such as Sam Spade that got me into the whole vintage mystery thing anyway. Also, speaking of Bogie, I’ve decided to do this challenge in his memory. He was born in December and passed away in January, the end and start of the year, respectively. This one, for my own personal meaning, will be dedicated to him.
I’ve got tons of vintage crime/mystery books on my shelves, but I have not read them yet, because I suppose I’m just not that cool. But this reading challenge. I no longer have any reason to put off reading the books that inspired the movies I love so much, and the man I love who acted in them. Sometimes I wish I was born about 80 years earlier…
Anyways, back to the challenge. The rules are as follows:
- Books must be from the mystery genre and written before the year 1960
- Overlaps with other challenges are allowed
- The challenge runs officially from January 1, 2011 to December 31, 2011 and sign-ups are allowed until November 30, 2011 – so go sign up!
- Once you pick your challenge level you are locked in for that number of books, but the books you choose can change at any time.
- In a Murderous Mood: 4-6 Books
- Get a Clue: 7-9 Books
- Hot on the Trail: 10-12 Books
- Capture the Criminal: 13-15 Books
- Take ‘Em to Trial: 16+ Books
- The Golden Age Girls: Read 5-7 books from female authors from the vintage years
- Cherchez Le Homme: Read 5-7 books from male authors from the vintage years
Note: If you are interested in more information on the 2011 Vintage Mystery reading challenge, click the picture at the top of the page. It’ll take you to the homepage.
My tentative vintage mystery reading list:
1. The Big Sleep by Raymond Chandler
2. The Maltese Falcon by Dashiell Hammett
3. The Mysterious Affair at Styles by Agatha Christie
4. The Murder at the Vicarige by Agatha Christie
5. The Moonstone by Wilkie Collins
6. The Circular Staircase by Mary Roberts Rinehart
7. Fer-de-Lance by Rex Stout