Today’s Top Ten Tuesday, which is hosted by the Broke and the Bookish, is your ten most dislikable characters. I thought this would be a breeze, but it’s actually more difficult than favorite characters. I also apologize in advance for some of my language. I’m sure it won’t all be pretty.
1. Caroline Bingley from Pride and Prejudice – When I first saw the topic over at the Broke and the Bookish this morning Caroline Bingley is the first name that popped into my head. I’ll take any reason to flaunt my annoyance with the character. I was actually going to take advantage of this post to go on an anti-Caroline Bingley rant. Instead, I’ll just say she makes my teeth itch.
2. Bill from the Sookie Stackhouse novels – I’ll admit I was way team Bill at the beginning. Then I just started to hate him. Then I found out I had a reason to hate him.
3. Dolores Umbridge and Cornelius Fudge from the Harry Potter series – I’m sure I could have split these two up, I could go on a blogging rampage about how much both of them annoyed me and pissed me off. Denying what is actually happening, preparing for the shitstorm that’s coming? But noooooo, they have to go and be babies about it all and let a small group of 16 year old kids have the balls. Ridiculous, at least on the part of Umbridge and Fudge.
4. Bree from the Sweep series – I read these books over and over again when I was in middle school. I’ve re-read them since. But the one thing that never changes is that I cannot stand Bree. She gets way pissy with her best friend over a guy for crying out loud. I just couldn’t stand her, most of the time.
5. Valeria from The Mountain’s Call – This is a book that I read about a month ago. I couldn’t decide if I liked it or not. I couldn’t decide if I liked the characters or not. Well, I should say I liked Kerrec. But Valeria just straight up bugged me (which you’ll notice when I get my review posted).
6. Aphrodite (and her friends) from the House of Night series – Seeing as I’ve only read the first book, I’m not sure yet if there is any development of Aphrodite’s character. What I can say is that it really bugged me that she was there. She is exactly what I can’t stand about reading teen fiction. She is drama, she is mean, she is ridiculous. Don’t we get enough of that crap in real life? Do we really need it in books too? Sorry about my mini-rant. But yeah, she way bugs me.
7. Daisy Buchanan from The Great Gatsby – I love the book, I love the movie, I can’t stand Daisy. “Oh, hi. So I’m a super bitch who’s led you on for a couple decades. I’m greedy and therefore stuck myself in a lifestyle cause it came with a big house and pretty diamonds. ” That just so happens to be what comes to mind when I think Daisy Buchanan.
8. Pastor Dennis from The Abstinence Teacher – I don’t mind religion, or religion in books. What I do mind is people trying to force their beliefs on others. I felt like while Pastor Dennis generally had good intentions, sometimes he took it too far with the preaching and even judging others for their lack of faith. That equals a dislikable character in my book. (I will take the opportunity to say that the book is still amazing!)
9. Iago from Othello – When I read this for my English class I had lots of reactions to the book. First and formost, I could not stand Iago. He was a greedy, whiny, entitled son-of-a-bitch, and if he worked for me, I woulda fired his ass. Just so you know.
10. Bella from the Twilight Saga – I’m gonna go all cliche on this one. I don’t dislike Bella because she got Edward like most do. I dislike her because it takes her forever to grow a spine. I have a strong dislike for weak female characters, and whether Stephenie Meyer did that on purpose or not, Bella’s not very strong on her own.
So, there’s ten. A runner up would be Victor from the Vampire Academy series. If I could include video game characters it would be that annoying Ashley chick from Resident Evil 4. Just wanted to get that out there.
Are there any characters you can’t stand?