Musing Mondays: May 6th
May 6, 2013 § Leave a comment
As per usual, Musing Mondays is hosted over at Should Be Reading…
Musing Mondays asks you to muse about one of the following each week…
• Describe one of your reading habits.
• Tell us what book(s) you recently bought for yourself or someone else, and why you chose that/those book(s).
• What book are you currently desperate to get your hands on? Tell us about it!
• Tell us what you’re reading right now — what you think of it, so far; why you chose it; what you are (or, aren’t) enjoying it.
• Do you have a bookish rant? Something about books or reading (or the industry) that gets your ire up? Share it with us!
• Instead of the above questions, maybe you just want to ramble on about something else pertaining to books — let’s hear it, then!
In the past couple of weeks, and even before then, I’ve always thought about reading books that are a part of a series. Personally, I really enjoy reading books that are a part of a series just because I love getting to know all the people involved with them and following all the things they go through and so on. That’s not to say that everything I read is from a series, but a lot of books are. Here’s what gets me about series though.
I have a tendency to gorge myself on a series. When I get that first book, if I like it I’ll buy every book from the series I can get my paws on and then I won’t stop reading them until I can’t stand them anymore. At that point, I’ll take a break and eventually I’ll go back to them. This doesn’t happen with every series I read, the getting sick of them part, but it happens enough that I’ve picked up on it.
The other thing that I’ve noticed about reading series, is that when a series ends, a lot of times I go into a mini ‘MY SERIES IS ENDING WHAT AM I GOING TO DO WITH MY LIFE?!?!?!?’ depression. In my mind its kind of like, I loved this series and I followed it and now I have to say goodbye to all these characters I love in a way. Whenever I read the last book in a series I actually have a tendency to be very jumpy about it. I don’t know how else to explain it. Maybe I’m just weird like that.
My question for you… Are you a reader of series? How do you read them – all at once, or do you break it up? Ever go into that sad-place when a series you love ends? Do tell.