This weeks Weekly Geeks wants us to:
Tell us ten things about you with regard to books and reading. Let your imagination run wild!
It’s been a while since I’ve kept up with Weekly Geeks, but this weeks topic is irresistible. So, about me and books…
1. I prefer used books over new books and to go along with that used book stores over chains. One of the big things about used books for me is the history. I love knowing that when I buy a used book someone else has read that book and I always wonder if their reaction to the book was the same as mine. Did they love it and give the book to the bookstore so someone else can experience the same thing, or did they hate it and they got rid of it hoping someone else might get something more out of it? As for used bookstores, they are fantastic because you never know what you’re going to find!
2. Whenever I go new places one of the first things I plan for is finding the closest bookstores. In fact, as I’ve been researching grad schools I’ve been Googling for bookstores in the area of each school just to make sure I won’t end up somewhere without one. I have three bookstores that I always go to when I go up to Vermont for vacation.
3. I buy books much, much, much faster than I read them (and every spare penny goes to the book buying fund). So far this year I’ve finished 44 books and I’ve bought more than twice that (107, so far I think) this year, though that’s mostly due to the trip to my favorite used bookstore the other day with my mom and my inability to resist one dollar mass market paperbacks.
4. I prefer books from a series over standalones. There is so much more room to play when you have more space than one book can provide.
5. The first book I remember being in love with as a child was Green Bear, as I got older it was the Magic Tree House series.
6. I am what I call a ‘moody reader.’ Even if I am enjoying a book immensely, I will put it down and pick up another one simply because of how I’m feeling or what I’m thinking, or for no reason at all.
7. I think the best way to start and end a day is by reading. I read in bed before I go to sleep and I always have a book on hand to read once I’ve had my coffee.
8. I will read any book that is put in front of me, unless it’s Steinbeck. It might take me a while to get to it, but I will read it.
9. I prefer to go into a book blind. At the most when I get a new book I might scan a few words on the back, but I would rather go into a book knowing nothing about it than go into a book with off the charts expectations and end up completely disappointed.
10. I can have several books going at a time. My record, for lack of a better word, is ten books at once. And no, I did not get them mixed up.
Any interesting facts about books and you?