I admit that my Top Ten Tuesday posts are, at best, sporadic. However, some weeks, this being one of them, I just can’t help but participate. So I present ten characters/literary figures I would name my children after, primarily based on the fact that I just like the names.
1. Elizabeth Bennet, Pride and Prejudice: I love, love, love Elizabeth Bennet. She happens to be one of my favorite characters of all time, and I would – without a doubt name a child after her. For that matter, if I could get away with it I’d name a son Fitzwilliam… but like I said, if.
2. Grayson Thane, Born in Ice: I remember reading this particular book and loving the name Grayson, as well as the character himself.
3. Atticus, To Kill a Mockingbird: Who wouldn’t want to name their kids Atticus? It’s just such a great name!
4. Alastair Reynolds: Alastair Reynolds is a science fiction author who I will admit to not having read yet regardless of the fact that his books sit on my shelves, but I really just love the name Alastair. In fact, I have had the name conversation with a friend of mine several times and while we have yet to decide which name is better, we do agree that both Atticus and Alastair are great names.
5. Morgan, Sweep series: Morgan was one of the first characters I read that really grew into herself and learned to take care of herself. I devoured the books when I first got my hands on them and to this day I have a soft spot for this character.
6. Hunter, also from the Sweep series: I’ll admit to hating Hunter with a passion when he first showed up in the series, but I gradually fell in love with him as Morgan did. Bittersweet as it may be, I still like the name.
7. Jack and Annie, Magic Tree House series: I’ve mentioned this series before, and I’m sure I’ll mention it again, but Jack and Annie were awesome! They got to have all of these awesome adventures and I was so jealous as a kid!
8. Tristan, Tristan & Isolde (or Iseult, or Isolda – depending on your preference): Okay, so I don’t know if this really counts, but several books, poems, and plays have been published based on the legend. I’ve always liked the name Tristan every since reading my first account of Tristan & Isolde.
9. Jonas, The Giver: I just love the name!
10. Sofie, Sofie Metropolis series: I’ve always liked the name Sofie, so I used this series to justify popping it on the list. Oh, and I liked the character too, serious.
Other mentions: Rose, Vampire Academy series; Jazz, Define “Normal”; and Ruth, The Abstinence Teacher
What a great list! Grayson IS a great name…my cousin named his son Thane. It’s kind of a bummer that popculture connotations get in the way of some names, like Jonas. that’s a great name too.
We have Atticus in common. 🙂
Reading Lark’s Top 10
Speaking of Lizzie…… I’ve just posted a book review I think you’ll like….